Aluminum is one of the most important metals used for industrial and commercial purposes. In fact, according to the Aluminum Association, aluminum drives $174 billion in annual U.S. economic impact.
Because of how important aluminum is for U.S. (and global) industrial purposes, it’s important to protect the integrity of aluminum used in your equipment. We believe one of the best methods to enhance this metal is the shot peening finishing treatment.
Which Industries Benefit From Shot Peened Aluminum?
There are numerous industries that utilize aluminum to support production or to enhance the integrity of their final product.
- Aerospace: the Aluminum Association estimates that 80 percent of a modern aircraft is made up of aluminum. This includes aluminum alloys used in the fuselage, wings, and supporting structures.
- Automotive: designers and engineers appreciate the benefits of aluminum because of its light weight, durability, protective properties, and sustainability.
- Energy: aluminum is highly reflective. This makes this metal critical for solar panels and other renewable energy purposes to create efficiencies that reduce global energy consumption.
- Manufacturing: aluminum is sought by manufacturers who desire non-corrosive and virtually indestructible metal to support rigorous industrial processes.
- Oil & Gas: aluminum is used for offshore purposes because of its corrosive resistance, light weight, and durability in extreme conditions.
How Shot Peening Enhances Aluminum Parts
Aluminum on its own is a highly-effective and useful metal. However, even with a great starting point, aluminum needs to be treated to increase durability, strength, and corrosive resistance for industry-specific purposes.
These are the primary benefits of using the shot peening finishing treatment on aluminum metals:
- Shot peening will increase the longevity of aluminum, especially when subjected to continual use.
- Because aluminum is a lightweight metal, shot peening the metal will increase its strength.
- When aluminum comes in the form of a soft-surface metal, shot peening the metal at specific intensities will increase corrosion resistance.
Use Our Shot Peening Finishing Treatment
Superior Shot Peening & Coatings (SSPC) offers a signature shot peening finishing treatment at our facility in Texas. Our expert team can process aluminum metal of different sizes and shapes with consistent and accurate results.
Additionally, our mobile crews are equipped with portable shot peening machines to perform the finishing treatment on-site at your location anywhere in the U.S. and internationally.
Contact us today about utilizing our shot peening service for your industry-specific purpose. We look forward to enhancing your aluminum parts, increasing fatigue strength, and creating longevity through a more durable metal finish.